It’s been a crazy busy weekend for me in the studio. I worked on a new song for a band called The Falling Trance, in preparation for there upcoming full length that they are going to record with me this summer. We did drums on Friday and Saturday. The kit I used was a Premier Signia Maple kit with a 18x22 kick, a 9x12 rack tom, a 14x16 floor tom, and a Truth Custom Drums 7x14 maple snare. All of the cymbals I used were Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals. The kit itself sounded fantastic so it was fairly easy to mic it up and capture great tones. For the kick drum I used an Audix D6 for the inside kick mic and then used some blankets to create a kick tunnel with a home made subkick that I made. On the snare I used an Audix i5 on both the top and bottom of the snare. On the toms I went with standard Sennheiser MD 421’s and used Oktava mk012’s as overheads and a Rode nt5 on the hi hats. I also used a mono room mic to help capture a whole image of the kit. For that I used an Apex 460. I ended up using quite a few different pres on the kit. For the kick and top snare mics I used a Presonus mp20 preamp with the saturation control all the way on for the snare track. For the subkick I used a focusrite voicemaster platinum channel strip so I could mildly compress it going in. I used an old Presonus digimax preamp for the tom’s, bottom snare and hi hats. On the overheads I used a focusrite twintrak pro, because I generally prefer tube preamps on overheads as it doesn’t make them as harsh. As for the room I used a Universal Audio LA-610 and used some mild compression just to give the room a little bit more of a “vibe” so to speak. All in all I am very happy with the way that the drum sounds turned out. I’ll post my findings with guitars and bass later today.
So for the guitar tracks I recorded today, I used this old ampeg v22 guitar amp that belongs to a friend of mine. I was super impressed with this amp, it was warm with a punchy responsive low end and shimmering crystal clear highs. In conjunction to running the amp through it’s 2 stock ampeg speakers, I also ran it through my 1988 orange cab loaded with celestion vintage 30’s. The combination of the two worked rather well as the orange gave the amp a little more bite and grit that it was previously lacking. We used a heavily modified 1972 Fender telecaster custom loaded with p-90’s and ran it through an assortment of pedals. When it came to capturing the sound of the amp I kept it pretty simple. I used a sennheiser MD421 on the ampeg speakers and a heil sound pr30 to mic up the orange. I ran both microphones into an original Presonus Digimax preamp, which sounds absolutely fantastic and has built in limiters too. I decided to keep it pretty straight forward on these tracks because these guitars are just fitting into the mix, and don’t really need to stick out. Also with most new progressive/ alternative rock, an in your face guitar sound isn’t really called for.
All in all I’m pretty happy with the way that this stuff is turning out. I’ll taking a break from this tomorrow to work with a band who I have done a couple of EP’s for in the past. I’ll be sure to blog on my methods of madness when it comes to punk pop/ hardcore music.
I figured I should start a blog about recording and upload photos and descriptions of how I’m engineering with the bands that I record. Today I’m finishing up bass tracks with a band that I’m currently playing with. My method for bass has been to capture as much as possible and subtract what I don’t like later. I have a U87 and a 421 placed in the center of a speaker on an ampeg 610 cab (shown in the picture). I’m also using a home made subkick to capture a lot of low end in conjunction with taking the dry bass signal so I can always reamp it later. So far I’m pretty happy with the tones I’ve gotten out of everything. Guitars to follow this afternoon.